NCAA Basketball Forum and Discussion Board: March Madness : Snake-bitten coaches
Use this forum to post questions or discuss topics with other NCAA Basketball fans.

Welcome to the new BracketScience Fan Forum
NCAA Basketball Forum » March Madness »

Snake-bitten coaches
Login/Register to Post a New Comment

[ Most Recent First | Oldest First ]
    Viewing Comments 1-25    

ptiernan
Pete Tiernan
Ann Arbor, MI
Editor (Nov 2006)
567 comments posted

Posted: 3 years ago   (3/3/12 9:42 am)   
Edited:  2 years ago   (7/3/12 2:08 pm)

Snake- bitten Syndrome: after five straight years of early exits, coaches rarely succeed in dance:

If you??ve read any of the feature articles I??ve posted this season, you??ve probably stumbled across my description of the snake- bitten tourney coach. These are coaches that have been to the dance at least five times without ever having reached ... more »

cderrick77584

Spring, TX
Member (Mar 2007)
13 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/5/12 9:24 am)   

Hasn't Painter had a team or two that limped into the tournament? I could just be imagining that as I don't follow the Big 10 as close as some.

Of course it could be argued injuries kind of go hand in hand with being snake- bitten.

ptiernan
Pete Tiernan
Ann Arbor, MI
Editor (Nov 2006)
567 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/5/12 3:34 pm)   

What makes Painter snake- bitten is that he's had six appearances without reaching the Elite Eight. Yes, he did have some injured players...like last year (along with a suspended guard) and of course Hummell the year before. Maybe some of the other snake- bitten coaches are in the same boat. Bottom line: these coaches haven't gotten it done yet- - and are less likely to as time goes on.

ryan_tressler
Ryan Tressler
West Chester, PA
Member (Feb 2009)
103 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/5/12 5:42 pm)   

According to the chart, Matt Painter is actually an overachiever and I can't imagine Purdue not making the tournament, so Marshall isn't the only overachiever likely to make the tournament.

ptiernan
Pete Tiernan
Ann Arbor, MI
Editor (Nov 2006)
567 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/6/12 9:58 pm)   

I see your point now. I guess it's fair to say, given low appearances, injury hurdles...and slight overachievment despite all that...that the jury is still out on Painter. Still, I'm not likely to advance Purdue that far, even though they are playing well down the stretch.

ryan_tressler
Ryan Tressler
West Chester, PA
Member (Feb 2009)
103 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/9/12 3:42 pm)   

I'll agree with you there, they just don't look like the team they could/ should have been in the last couple years when I watch them now, I don't see them doing much of anything once they get into the tournament. maybe second round depending on who they draw

Viewing Comments 1-25    

·  
Rules of Conduct

2014 Bracket Science LLC
ActiveFan Sports Network