NCAA Basketball Forum and Discussion Board: March Madness : Round 2 model results
Use this forum to post questions or discuss topics with other NCAA Basketball fans.

Welcome to the new BracketScience Fan Forum
NCAA Basketball Forum » March Madness »

Round 2 model results
Login/Register to Post a New Comment

[ Most Recent First | Oldest First ]
    Viewing Comments 1-25    

Lucus18

Lubbock, TX
Member (Feb 2011)
13 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/25/11 9:45 am)   

Glorious pick, with Butler and UConn in my final 4. Should be joined by OH St and KS to pull into first place in the pool I'm in.

Then the real work begins. With the help of Pete should go well.

Keep up the great work.

ryan_tressler
Ryan Tressler
West Chester, PA
Member (Feb 2009)
103 comments posted

Posted: 3 years ago   (3/24/11 11:03 pm)   
Edited:  3 years ago   (3/24/11 11:04 pm)

arizona and uconn bucking the trend for teams not going last year. im already out of my pool, so im hoping for a marquette vs butler title game! i want some more madness!!!!

Lucus18

Lubbock, TX
Member (Feb 2011)
13 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/23/11 9:58 pm)   

Thanks, Pete.

I'm going with Butler, will let you know if I win the pot, this pick will determine the outcome, as we also have to pick a final 4, for bonus points before this round starts.

Enjoying the work you have done.

Dee

ptiernan
Pete Tiernan
Ann Arbor, MI
Editor (Nov 2006)
567 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/23/11 6:36 pm)   

pwake - I hear you...I spend months crunching the numbers...and within a couple weekends, it's all over. And unlike the last couple years, the models don't seem to be measurably better than just going high seed.

ptiernan
Pete Tiernan
Ann Arbor, MI
Editor (Nov 2006)
567 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/23/11 6:31 pm)   

You've picked a very hard one to call, Lucus. Wisconsin's numbers are clearly better. But Stevens is now the top overachieving active coach. Butler just seems to get it done. And they won't exactly be out "athleted" against the Badgers. If I were playing if safe, I'd go with Wisconsin. But on CBSSports.com, where I have to pick up four games on the leader, I'm going Butler.

Lucus18

Lubbock, TX
Member (Feb 2011)
13 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/23/11 4:05 pm)   

Please, please, please help me pick the Wisc VS Butler match and do they get to the final four?

Thanks,

pwakefield77

Littleton, CO
Member (Mar 2010)
67 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/23/11 1:26 pm)   

should be fun to see how everything ends up as the dust settles over the next few weeks. big fan of this site. i always enjoy trying to build a better bracket. it's like a gigantic puzzle to me. so far the couple months leading up to the tournament and all the research has been more fun than the tournament.

Bamilus

Michgan
Member (Mar 2010)
92 comments posted

Posted: 3 years ago   (3/23/11 12:58 pm)   
Edited:  3 years ago   (3/23/11 1:01 pm)

I knew the Big East would be overrated as a whole. The problem is picking which Big East teams will fall and which won't.

UConn has terrible stats for a three seed, but so far has performed pretty well. Syracuse had great stats but fell to Marquette. Marquette had so- so stats but made it to the Sweet 16. Georgetown with Wright should've ... more »

ptiernan
Pete Tiernan
Ann Arbor, MI
Editor (Nov 2006)
567 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/23/11 11:53 am)   

This is the second straight year that the vaunted Big East has massively underachieved against seed expectations. I'll crank the numbers.

pwakefield77

Littleton, CO
Member (Mar 2010)
67 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/23/11 11:18 am)   

great points bamilus. and does anyone think the big east is overrated? i'm always concerned about the strength of a conference when the #9 team in the conference wins the conference tournament. and the top 3 of the weak east were booted early. i don't think the weak east is worse than anyone else. but i don't think they are better and i think they are simply overrated

Bamilus

Michgan
Member (Mar 2010)
92 comments posted

Posted: 3 years ago   (3/23/11 10:03 am)   
Edited:  3 years ago   (3/23/11 10:04 am)

pwakefield77,

That is exactly the stat I am talking about. I forgot to mention UConn, they are another example.

I didn't bank on UNC and UConn and Arizona because they didn't make last years dance. Also, Kentucky is an extremely young team but they are doing well.

Maybe experience isn't as important as it used ... more »

pwakefield77

Littleton, CO
Member (Mar 2010)
67 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/23/11 9:41 am)   

i could have sworn i saw a stat that teams that didn't go to last years dance were 3 and 25 in reaching the sweet 16. did uconn and northcarolina just buck that or what?

Bamilus

Michgan
Member (Mar 2010)
92 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/22/11 11:52 pm)   

I think the conclusion is simple: this tournament contained a large amount of outliers.

The crappy refs definitely had something to do with that, but I think this tourney was also hard to predict because most games in round 1 and 2 (even among potential matchups) were more or less coin flips.

ptiernan
Pete Tiernan
Ann Arbor, MI
Editor (Nov 2006)
567 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/22/11 11:03 pm)   

Agreed. Pitt is a constant loss for Pythag. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

kaceynwells

Boerne, TX
Member (Feb 2011)
4 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/22/11 9:26 pm)   

But keep in mind the Pythag model has already lost a bunch of games not played yet so their percentage is sure to come back down to Earth unless it nails every other game it has a play in from this point forward.

ptiernan
Pete Tiernan
Ann Arbor, MI
Editor (Nov 2006)
567 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/22/11 7:07 pm)   

:

After two rounds of the dance, the nine statistical models are far outdistancing my gut instinct, keeper and contrarian picks. But they aren't necessarily burning up the brackets. Overall, the nine stats models average being in the 62nd percentile- - just above average. But only three of them would likely put you in the running for your ... more »

Viewing Comments 1-25    

·  
Rules of Conduct

2014 Bracket Science LLC
ActiveFan Sports Network