NCAA Basketball Forum and Discussion Board: March Madness : 7 stats champs!
Use this forum to post questions or discuss topics with other NCAA Basketball fans.

Welcome to the new BracketScience Fan Forum
NCAA Basketball Forum » March Madness »

7 stats champs!
Login/Register to Post a New Comment

[ Most Recent First | Oldest First ]
    Viewing Comments 1-25    

djellars24

Tuscola, IL
Member (Feb 2008)
1 comments posted

6 years ago   (3/13/09 7:51 pm)   

Is your victory margin the same as scoring margin or do you only count WINS in victory margin and losses wouldnt count becasue it is not a victory?

Thanks

ptiernan
Pete Tiernan
Ann Arbor, MI
Editor (Nov 2006)
567 comments posted

6 years ago   (3/11/09 3:19 pm)   

True. I like Pomeroy stats- - and they were an amazing predictor of the dance last year. However, if Wisconsin had been in NC's or UCLA's bracket, Pythag would've had them going to the Final Four. So to a certain extent, it was luck of the brackets. As with any model- - including the ones I'll post- - do a sanity check before blindly accepting their guidance.

deutschster

Los Angeles, CA
Member (Feb 2007)
2 comments posted

6 years ago   (3/10/09 6:14 pm)   

Hey Pete,
I have been a member for the past three years and you have given me some great information. You have also swayed me towards the Pomeroy ratings which has quite a strong statistical ratio in determining a final four and potential champion. In looking at the stats in the past 10 years, it looks as if each final four team except for 2006 ... more »

ptiernan
Pete Tiernan
Ann Arbor, MI
Editor (Nov 2006)
567 comments posted

Posted: 6 years ago   (3/10/09 1:16 pm)   
Edited:  6 years ago   (3/11/09 8:41 pm)

Teams with All- Americans do overachieve, but that's not necessarily the sign of a champion.

nperry16

Brookline, MA
Member (Mar 2009)
2 comments posted

6 years ago   (3/10/09 12:09 pm)   

What about having a McDonald's All- American, is that an attribute of a champ as well? I thought I had read that somewhere...

ptiernan
Pete Tiernan
Ann Arbor, MI
Editor (Nov 2006)
567 comments posted

6 years ago   (3/9/09 6:11 pm)   

UCLA and Villanova join the most crowded list of potential champs in two months:

This year is shaping up to have the most crowded tourney bubble in years. So it’s only fitting that, less than a week before Selection Sunday, we now have our most crowded list of potential champs in nearly two months. This week, both UCLA and Villanova kicked ... more »

Viewing Comments 1-25    

·  
Rules of Conduct

©2014 Bracket Science LLC
ActiveFan Sports Network