NCAA Basketball Forum and Discussion Board: March Madness : Weak field 1 to 40
Use this forum to post questions or discuss topics with other NCAA Basketball fans.

Welcome to the new BracketScience Fan Forum
NCAA Basketball Forum » March Madness »

Weak field 1 to 40
Login/Register to Post a New Comment

[ Most Recent First | Oldest First ]
    Viewing Comments 1-25    

ptiernan
Pete Tiernan
Ann Arbor, MI
Editor (Nov 2006)
567 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/16/11 4:05 pm)   

If they get there, Gary. That what a tough sub- region for me. I wasn't sold on Purdue even before the Barlow thing. If Chris Wright is 90%, Georgetown could make noise. And ND's strength seems inflated. Could Texas A&M or FSU upset them in the second round? FSU would be intriguing- - but only if Singleton is back and active defensively.

gjd4

Madison, WI
Member (Mar 2010)
45 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/16/11 2:49 pm)   

Pete,

Any thougths on the suspension of Purdue's Kelsey Barlow? How does it change things in the SW bracket? Does it give ND a better path to the ELite 8?

I guess between Painter (Purdue) and Brey (ND), on eof them shoudl shake the snakebitten coach status.

Gary

gjd4

Madison, WI
Member (Mar 2010)
45 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/16/11 2:38 pm)   

I agree whole heartedly that the SE region is very weak...weakest #1, #2, #4 and possibly #3 seed. What happened to the "S- curve" for the top seeds (4/ region) in the tourney.

If I remember correct that when the brackets were reveiled on sunday night, the # seeds in order were OSU, Kansas, Pitt, Duke. That would mean the ... more »

ptiernan
Pete Tiernan
Ann Arbor, MI
Editor (Nov 2006)
567 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/16/11 9:20 am)   

I'll say this: that sub- region bracket is utterly batsh*t. I could see St. John's (Lavin has a way of getting to the second weekend), Gonzaga (strong numbers), BYU (the Jimmer factor), UCLA (Howland magic), Michigan State (never count out Izzo), or Florida (the best team in a weak grouping) emerge from here.

I hate this region.

jpminvestments

Shreveport, LA
Member (Mar 2009)
3 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/15/11 8:19 pm)   

I'm concerned about it, but there are concerns everywhere. Just taking a shot, makes it more fun.

rtittmann
Ray
Concord, CA
Member (Mar 2008)
9 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/15/11 7:49 pm)   

I thought St. John's had a starter injured in the BE tourney. Not concerned about that?

jpminvestments

Shreveport, LA
Member (Mar 2009)
3 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/15/11 7:16 pm)   

Thanks for all the great work Pete. I did one of my brackets advancing all the 1's to the Final Four and having the SE blow up with Utah St. vs. St. John's in the Elite 8 and Utah St. in the Final 4. I've seen alot of people talk about Pitt having a weak region, but they are weak.

special83

Rensselaer, NY
Member (Mar 2011)
2 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/15/11 2:17 pm)   

I agree that every 4 see a problem for the 1's but the 4 I'm having the biggest problem with is Kentucky. The Final 4 rules say they're a lock for the Final 4 but in match ups against both W.Virginia and Ohio St their attributes say they're should be loser. Which should I consider more reliable???

ptiernan
Pete Tiernan
Ann Arbor, MI
Editor (Nov 2006)
567 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/15/11 2:06 pm)   

The SE is one weak bracket. I really liked Wisconsin earlier in the year. But their game hasn't translated well to the tourney. I know this: Pitt is the weakest one, Florida is the weakest two, and BYU is wounded. Heck, in that lower half, I could see any of six teams get to the E8. Besides BYU and FLA, there's St. John's and a strong Zags ... more »

buyhysellhyer

Clovis, CA
Member (Feb 2011)
1 comments posted

3 years ago   (3/15/11 2:02 pm)   

Agreed, the SE is the toughest bracket to pick. I really thought Belmont could make some noise and they get paired with Wisconsin. Then you throw BYU in the mix without Davies and Pete says Gonzaga is strong. This may be the bracket that goes crazy. I would also like to hear how others see the SE playing out.

rtittmann
Ray
Concord, CA
Member (Mar 2008)
9 comments posted

Posted: 3 years ago   (3/15/11 1:37 pm)   
Edited:  3 years ago   (3/15/11 1:53 pm)

I love the 4 seeds, both because these #s show how strong they are, and because I like their 2d rd matchups. I foresee a few 4- 12 matchups this weekend b/ c of the 5 weakness and 12 strength. But I'm struggling with Wisconsin. I don't like WI but that bracket is wide open and I could get killed if I don't pick them. WI could get knocked out first round or go to Final Four (1- 3 seeds all relatively week). Any thoughts?

ptiernan
Pete Tiernan
Ann Arbor, MI
Editor (Nov 2006)
567 comments posted

Posted: 3 years ago   (3/15/11 12:26 pm)   
Edited:  17 months ago   (4/12/13 2:19 pm)

Efficiency comparisons show unusually weak 5- 10 seeds…strong four seeds:

Throughout this season, I’ve been comparing this year’s top 10 Pythag teams to their historical counterparts. I observed that they are weaker in terms of efficiency than any year since 2004 (that’s how far back I have data. The top ten 2011 teams own an average ... more »

Viewing Comments 1-25    

·  
Rules of Conduct

2014 Bracket Science LLC
ActiveFan Sports Network