NCAA Basketball Forum and Discussion Board: March Madness : UConn potential champ!
Use this forum to post questions or discuss topics with other NCAA Basketball fans.

Welcome to the new BracketScience Fan Forum
NCAA Basketball Forum » March Madness »

UConn potential champ!
Login/Register to Post a New Comment

[ Most Recent First | Oldest First ]
    Viewing Comments 1-25    

stephenson

Nashville, TN
Member (Mar 2008)
24 comments posted

5 years ago   (3/17/09 4:20 pm)   

Pitt fails on three counts: they score 78.4 and allow 65.2, they get just 32.3% of their points from guards, and their average starting age is exactly 3.4. Like with UConn, though, I'm having trouble seeing who will do them in in their bracket. There's an off chance that both Florida State and Xavier will be gone before the Sweet 16.

On ... more »

jklps

Rockville, MD
Member (Mar 2007)
12 comments posted

5 years ago   (3/17/09 3:45 pm)   

For argument's sake on the age thing, the 2002 Maryland National Championship team started 3 seniors(Juan Dixon, Lonny Baxter, Byron Mouton), 1 junior(Steve Blake) and 1 sophmore(Chris Wilcox) for an average age of 3.4.

Then again, 3 are still playing in the NBA (Blake, Dixon, Wilcox).

stephenson

Nashville, TN
Member (Mar 2008)
24 comments posted

5 years ago   (3/17/09 3:34 pm)   

Noticed that, trouble is I can't see who will do the job in their bracket. Maybe Purdue. BYU looks good according to Pomeroy's numbers but I've given up on counting on them to do anything in the tournament.

jklps

Rockville, MD
Member (Mar 2007)
12 comments posted

5 years ago   (3/17/09 3:11 pm)   

What about from Pete's article on underachievers:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Top- seeded underachievers – 27 of 96 one seeds have failed to win three games and reach the Elite Eight. What separates these disappointing top seeds from their more reliable counterparts? If a one seed possesses ... more »

ptiernan
Pete Tiernan
Ann Arbor, MI
Editor (Nov 2006)
567 comments posted

5 years ago   (3/17/09 1:45 am)   

Joe Maw - I hear what you're saying...but then I'd have to go back 24 years and back out all the questionable OT, double OT, triple OT, etc. games. I was blissfully ignorant of them...so I gotta treat UConn the same. That said, they do have the underachieving stigma of two straight losses. So it might be worthwhile to cast a cold eye on them, to borrow a line from Yeats.

73rdSt

Rancho Santa Fe, CA
Member (Jan 2007)
12 comments posted

5 years ago   (3/16/09 12:28 am)   

Pete:

Tourney Champ Credentials: is it 8 or like a recent post said: 6 because Clemson and UCLA are out?
Thanks for a quick reply.

stephenson

Nashville, TN
Member (Mar 2008)
24 comments posted

5 years ago   (3/15/09 7:24 pm)   

UCLA and Clemson are both out, so that leaves six.

ryan_tressler

Nashville, TN
Member (Mar 2008)
24 comments posted

5 years ago   (3/15/09 4:41 pm)   

here we go pete, all the games are done and its almost time!

joemaw23

Orange Park, FL
Member (Feb 2007)
4 comments posted

Posted: 5 years ago   (3/15/09 11:01 am)   
Edited:  5 years ago   (3/15/09 12:56 pm)

Pete,
I got to be honest, UConn making it because of 6 OTs is a stretch. It is an outlier of outliers. If the game ended in regulation, UConn would have only scored 71pts. This would have moved them further from the qualifing. Including the overtime points moves UConn from 75.8 ppg to 77.3, a whole 1.5 ppg!
Joe

ptiernan
Pete Tiernan
Ann Arbor, MI
Editor (Nov 2006)
567 comments posted

5 years ago   (3/13/09 8:37 pm)   

Six- overtime game gives UConn's points it needs to join potential champs club:

One of the interesting by- products of the six- overtime classic between Syracuse and UConn is that it boosted the Huskies average points scored per game to 77.3- - and thereby helped them qualify as a potential champion. If you haven't been following ... more »

Viewing Comments 1-25    

·  
Rules of Conduct

©2014 Bracket Science LLC
ActiveFan Sports Network